Monday, January 14, 2008

Planning a Trip to Xiamen China

I don't know what to really expect in this trip. We (hubby and my in-laws) will be visiting Xiamen to attend a wedding. We'll be leaving on January 27 and be back on the 31st.

Firstly, I don't know what to expect in a traditional Chinese wedding. Most importantly, I don't know what should I wear. Here in Manila (not sure about the other parts of the world), whenever we attend a Chinese wedding we would wear semi formal clothes. Not to the extent of just wearing jeans and a t-shirt (some just wear really casual clothes). I refuse to be that informal though, so I'd normally opt for slacks and a semi formal blouse. In Xiamen, I really don't have an idea.

Since hubby will be wearing a suit and my mother in law does not really have an idea on what one should wear, I decided to have a dress made by JC Buendia (my favorite designer). It will be a long dress with some sort of jacket to fight off the cold weather. Seems like the weather will be around 10-11 degrees Celsius. I'm a bit apprehensive that I might be over dressed so I'm planning to bring one more dress that would as semi-formal.

According to my mother-in-law, the wedding will be a whole day affair. After reading some articles, I got excited because I will be experiencing something new with this trip. It will a first for us to be attending a real Chinese wedding :)

Another part of the preparation is what clothes to bring. Good thing I invested on some thick sweaters when I went to the US a couple of years back. What I just need to buy is a thick jacket, not sure if I'd still buy thermal underwear.

Hmmm, need to start preparing for the trip :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Xiamen is not that cold and if you are indoors, the thermal underwear will end up killing you. So I would leave that out of the wardrobe.

Overdressing is always better than underdressing so go ahead and deck it out but maybe not so much on the accessories.

Compliment your hosts, the food, the party, that's the best way to be a great guest :D in China.